Dear Readers

Fear not the Darkness, But What Lies Within, The recesses of our mind, The creepy cobwebbed corners,That lingers on and tickles us,With tingle feelings of alarm, The deep in the stomach, Pain we feel when we do warn, The fear is deadly it seeks, The deepest corner of our mind, It's just a story to alarm,Educate and provide entertainment for our minds. So read on dear reader, I hope you find the stories amusing and full of charm.






Friday, May 4, 2018

Oh Nuts


       Spring had sprung, finally. Flowering trees were sprouting blooms. Tree branches were getting green and full. The grass was growing. It was beautiful spring day and then I heard the noise of the neighbours opening their door. They put out their chairs and then I heard voices, singing, a radio blaring. I scurried around the yard doing busy work hoping they wouldn’t see me and I certainly didn’t want to speak to them. I was happy when I heard the door open and the neighbours usher themselves inside, I relaxed after all the sun was warm and toasty and I basked in its beauty.
I began digging. Then they came out again and I had to stop. They were shrill, even their breathing was loud. I hated them why did they have to ruin my peace and quiet?
“Don’t take it personally,” my brother said as he came up beside me.
“How can I not? I haven't seen my nuts all winter!”I answered.

“They’re digging up the lawn,” the voice of my neighbour rang out.


           His lawn? It was my family’s first. We’d been here for generations I just tolerated him. Maybe I'd burrow into his roof. He’s hate that. No, dad said it was wise to be good neighbours and let them think we’re cute then once in awhile they throw us some tasty morsels.

“Here, little squirrels some nuts for you,” the female neighbour called.

           Dad was right life was good with neighbours like these and we could tolerate their little quirks.

©Sheilagh Lee May3, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment