Dear Readers

Fear not the Darkness, But What Lies Within, The recesses of our mind, The creepy cobwebbed corners,That lingers on and tickles us,With tingle feelings of alarm, The deep in the stomach, Pain we feel when we do warn, The fear is deadly it seeks, The deepest corner of our mind, It's just a story to alarm,Educate and provide entertainment for our minds. So read on dear reader, I hope you find the stories amusing and full of charm.






Monday, November 26, 2018

Angel of Thanksgiving

Angel of Thanksgiving

         Cold grey, the sun has given way to dark ominous snow clouds, suiting my mood. I should be wishing for sunflowers, warm sunny days with picnics instead I’m sheltering under a bridge from the cold. Losing my apartment and my job, my life was pulled a part like the wishbone of a turkey, but it was not a wishbone it was the semblance of a life that I’d tried to put together after my service in Iraq. The day before Thanksgiving, no wonder I was thinking of turkey. Hungry and cold; maybe I’d freeze to death tonight I thought and no one would care. 


      I snuggled into the trestles of the bridge wrapping newspaper as a blanket around me and closed my eyes. I awoke looking into the face of an angel. Her blonde hair tucked under a red wool cap, a black woollen coat en- wrapping her, she offered a man’s coat and hat to me saying, ”Here, stay warm. My name is Jennifer and we’re serving dinner at the shelter .Will you please come?”

       I wanted to say no; but my head nodded and I followed her and the other homeless who had been invited. The dinner was incredible turkey with all the fixings, even my favorite marshmallow yams. When I was done they offered me pumpkin pie. Jennifer offered me shelter for the night and convinced me to stay at the shelter. 

      Jenny saved me that day helped me get the help I needed at the VA and now we have a baby. I was right the first time Jenny was and still is an angel helping those in need and I work long side her sharing my experience to help others .Thank God for people like my Jenny who reach out to those who need it.
©Sheilagh Lee  November 26,  2018

No comments:

Post a Comment