Dear Readers

Fear not the Darkness, But What Lies Within, The recesses of our mind, The creepy cobwebbed corners,That lingers on and tickles us,With tingle feelings of alarm, The deep in the stomach, Pain we feel when we do warn, The fear is deadly it seeks, The deepest corner of our mind, It's just a story to alarm,Educate and provide entertainment for our minds. So read on dear reader, I hope you find the stories amusing and full of charm.






Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Not a fairytale

 

Everyone girl wants their life to be like a fairytale, so, the story goes, but life isn’t a fairytale. Life is hard. Each day should be a new beginning a day of happiness but you wake up late, you rush to get ready, your coffee is cold, you forgot your packed lunch, you have five dollars left until Friday and its only Monday. You go home eat some ramen, because that’s all the food that is left in the cupboard. Your television is on the fritz, the password that your mom and dad loaned you for Netflix is caput. It’s six o’clock, so dark you might as well go to bed. I say my prayers for someone to share and change my life with, going to sleep shortly afterwards.

Awakening to an alarm coughing, a cute fireman stands over me, placing oxygen over my face. The fireman takes me outside.  I worry that I forgot to check on my ninety year old neighbour, Howie before I went to sleep. I think I should ask Cal. I look over and he's been brought out by a fireman too.

“Sandra?” Cal says.

“Some fire,” I comment.

“I heard Howie, left his stove on under a pot.”

"Is he okay? I forgot to check on him. Did you check on him?"

"No, I went to conked out early, and didn't check on him; but the fireman says he's okay. We have to do better. we can't let the poor old guy suffer. He's always been good for us."

"I know; he gave me fifty bucks last month when I was short the rent last month."

"What a great guy he is."

"Don't get me wrong I paid him back last week."

"I'm not surprised; you should have asked me though."

"I didn't ask he just tucked in a pocket."

“We could fix all of this.  I know this is probably the wrong time; but I almost died will you go out with me? then maybe someday you could move in with me and we could share expenses and Howie.”

I needed a new beginning maybe this was my chance I thought speaking to God I ask, “Where do you want me?” of course I didn’t get a verbal answer but I answer.

“Yes, Cal, I will.”

A year later and were married. We bought a house and rented out a room with cooking services and laundry to Howie (since he refused to move in without paying us a nominal fee.) Cal and I take turns cooking and cleaning and Howie is excited since Cal and I have no family he's going to be a grandfather to our baby who will born in the new year. Life isn't a fairytale but sometimes if you grab it with both hands you can have a surprise or two that can make you smile.

Copyright 2023 © Sheilagh G. Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment