Dear Readers

Fear not the Darkness, But What Lies Within, The recesses of our mind, The creepy cobwebbed corners,That lingers on and tickles us,With tingle feelings of alarm, The deep in the stomach, Pain we feel when we do warn, The fear is deadly it seeks, The deepest corner of our mind, It's just a story to alarm,Educate and provide entertainment for our minds. So read on dear reader, I hope you find the stories amusing and full of charm.






Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Tuesday Writings No. #12- The Last Time


Tuesday Writings No. #12- The Last Time

Prompts this week: scribe, clandestine, toxic

       If you'd like to participate in Tuesday Writings please go to  http://tantalizingtuesdaytetetetes.blogspot.ca/2017/09/tuesdays-writing-no-12.html use the prompts and leave a comment on that page with a link to your blog and your name and you'll be included too.


The Last Time

       "That was the last time." I heard this line every day of the last ten years. Every word out of Jeff’s honeyed lips was a lie; but I’d fallen for it hook, line, and sinker. Every single time I’d thought he’d change he’d bring flowers and sweet words and I’d succumb to it forgiving him. I should have been smarter after all I had been a scribe of the court and I heard these toxic stories everyday  before I met him and left the job; but I thought I was above this I was smarter but I wasn't I was just a naive fool.

          Last month Jeff broke my arm; before that bones in my face. I had numerous injuries over ten years as he always accused me of clandestine affairs. I didn’t cheat on him, how could I? He held the key to the front door. I could go to a small garden in the backyard but the neighbours couldn’t see or hear me there for we were miles away from anyone. I hadn't spoken to anyone but Jeff in years all my friends and relatives had long since deserted me because of his nasty behaviour. I had no phone; no voice to the outside world. This morning he ordered me to make his breakfast after hitting me across the face. I dutifully made his breakfast and he’d eaten it telling me how good it tasted. Then he’d apologized just like he always did insisting it was the last time, promising me flowers. This time I answered back, “You’re right that was the last time!” as he writhed on the floor in agony and then succumbed.

 I planned what I would say to the police, “He brought the mushrooms; how did I know they were poisonous?” Either way I’d bought my freedom, I was ready.
©Sheilagh Lee September 19, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment