Dear Readers

Fear not the Darkness, But What Lies Within, The recesses of our mind, The creepy cobwebbed corners,That lingers on and tickles us,With tingle feelings of alarm, The deep in the stomach, Pain we feel when we do warn, The fear is deadly it seeks, The deepest corner of our mind, It's just a story to alarm,Educate and provide entertainment for our minds. So read on dear reader, I hope you find the stories amusing and full of charm.






Wednesday, July 11, 2018

I Should Have Listened to Nanny


      Accepting a job with mystery writer, Bradley Guest; I scolded myself for shivering when I saw his home Castle Cronin. It was positively gothic with turrets, and gargoyles overlooking the front door. The door opened and Bradley ushered me in and talking about my duties as secretary. A phone call made him leave the room.
“You should get out while you can. He’s a very bad man,” the housekeeper said.
“I need the job if I find I don’t like this job I’ll leave tonight.”
“Oh, you’ll leave tonight. Listen I am an old woman and he’s rather fond of me, so I’m safe; but a young woman like you is not.”
“Why are you trying to scare me away?”
“It’s for your own good. It’s too late he’s coming back. Don’t say I didn’t warn you,” the housekeeper said leaving as quickly as she came.
“Was that my housekeeper?”
“Yes.” I answered.
“Did she tell you to leave?”
I nodded.
“I’m sorry. She’s actually my possessive old nanny. You don’t want to leave now, do you?”
“No, I said and followed him to his study.
“Sometimes I act out the plots in my books. I hope that isn’t a problem.”
“No, of course not.”

That’s how I found myself pretending to be the murder victim. Unfortunately for me it was only pretense on my part. Nanny asked where they’d hide this body. As I lay there dying from a knife wound, I wondered why didn’t I listen to nanny?

©Sheilagh Lee July 11, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment